Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Intentions

Aloha~!
So, I am fairly new to this whole Blogging thing. I have been excessively apprehensive about starting a blog due to my experiences with no one ever reading my devArt Journals and with everyone on LiveJournal, save a few, being horribly whiny and bitchy (don't worry, folks, I haven't been on LJ in ages). I've started this Blog to add my "unique" voice to the cacophony of the Internet, in an attempt to share and help my fellow geeks to better enjoy what they enjoy. To this goal I won't be limiting this blog, like many I know, to any one medium or genre, but more on that later.

Now, I know all my fellow geeks out there aren't as absurdly in love with the English language as i am, and some of y'all might be wondering what the heck the name of this blog even means.

Courtesy of Dictionary.com:

sagacious

1. having or showing acute mental discernment and keen practical sense; shrewd: a sagacious lawyer.
2. Obsolete. keen of scent.

Sagacious is a nice word. It is strange and obscure enough to not be thought of as snobbish or snooty, like Discerning or Refined would sound, and it also, funnily enough, kind of sounds like an appreciative word in regards to food.

Imagine, if you would:

A 50's Kitchen scene. A child is eating pudding from a bowl while his mother washes dishes.
Mother: How was your pudding, Jimmy?
Jimmy: It was sagacious, Mum!

Isn't that fun?

Now, back to more practical, less fantastical things.
If you look down at the looooooooooong (and incomplete) list of labels for this introductory post, you will quickly become well aware of how wide my interests are and, potentially, how far the topics presented in this Blog will range. I intend to try and bring a critical approach to everything I comment on here without falling into the immediate or distilled reactions of geeking out over something that is part of a long-standing franchise or genre that I already love. For this reason i will not be likely to review a movie until it is available for home viewing, so as to avoid just saying "Dude, it was so cooooool!" after seeing it once and saying no more other than the few bits I remember with enough clarity to gush over. The best reviews come from being able to reference the material while writing so as to make sure you aren't being an idiot. Or, at least that is how I feel.

I haven't entirely decided yet on many aspects of this blog, including layout and Google Ads and colour schemes, so I would definitely appreciate any feedback you folks might have on the looks and structure of this blog in its opening days. I know I wouldn't stick around to read something if it made my eyes bleed to do so.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you'll all become regulars, the more the merrier.

1 comment:

  1. Cool man! I'll be sure to keep checking by on this as I'm sure it won't fail to be consistently entertaining. In fact, I think I may start one of my own.

    ReplyDelete